Monday, June 25, 2012

Finding Balance


Hello Hello Hello!

Thank you for joining me on my journey. It’s been rough as I continue to find a balance that works for me. I’m learning that “balance” is an illusion. The fact of the matter is the balance of your life is thrown completely out of whack the moment you go into business for yourself. It’s easy to have a set rhythm for each day when someone else is dictating your time. It’s hard to miss out on time with friends and family, especially if you are working your business around your full time job. At a recent training a leader in my company, 5LINX, stated “You must find your main event for each day. That will change day to day based on need.” Those words as simple as they are were exactly what I needed to hear. Before, I ended each day feeling like I could have done more. From spending more time with the kids, volunteering, training, relationship building, follow-ups, prospecting, cleaning or one of the many thoughts that would pop into my mind as I lay in bed. Now, as long as I am accomplishing my “Main Event” each day I am satisfied with the outcome. A good friend, an entrepreneur, said to me “I’m always irritated about how SAH (stay at home) parents are often looked at like we’re lazy underachievers…” This brings ties into what have I been doing this past month, not being a lazy underachiever I can tell you that!

Prior to that training I was guilty of trying to do EVERYTHING all at once. Last month I became a networking machine, creating over 100 new contacts in less than two weeks. The problem was over that two weeks I saw very little of my kids; not much housework was completed; zero volunteer time was clocked and I couldn't tell you what was going on in my husband’s life. I was out of reach and out of touch. Taylor, my 6 y/o said to me one night as I crept in to steal kisses, “Mommy I hate your new job, I want you to quit!” Her eyes filled with tears broke my heart. I took a look around and had a mountain of clothes to wash, electrical problems to address, school work to check out, lessons and lectures to give, bills to pay, a husband and mother to check on and more. With all of my running I didn’t even factor in time to follow up with all of these new contacts. I broke down and over the next two and half weeks I paid my business little to no attention. I didn’t even attend my weekly training events or calls. Instead I focused on home and being a SAHM. After sending the girls off to school I went to the school myself. Helping out where ever I was needed. That included an environmental field trip, two days being outside for Field Day, Parent Involvement meeting and after-school program activities all in one week. Tackled well over 10 loads of clothes, cleaned the house, washed walls and dusted, put way winter clothes and sorted for donations, cleaned out my van and got up the trash blown into my yard. I also took steps to prevent bed bugs or other creepy crawlies from taking residence in my home. Figured out the electrical issue, hit the electrical store to replace blown breakers and got new wiring. Somewhere in there I got quality time in with each family member and even family game night or two. So are SAHM lazy?? I think not!! At the end of the month I was overwhelmed with my thoughts. I knew I couldn't have another month like that one, but didn’t have the answers to make it so. I knew I had to get back to business but never wanted to see the hurt in my baby’s face again. Focusing on a main event a day has helped solve this issue. So if timing is an issue for you remember "If you chase two rabbits they will both get a way". Find and focus on YOUR Main Event each day, it will get you to where you want to be!

Next Installment I’ll touch on Vegas and who knows what else. All questions or suggestions are welcomed! Until next time, have a GREAT day, on PURPOSE!


Mia

Contact me to found out how I can help your business Expand and save on your overhead.  For contact information text “Mia” to 55469.  Click to Save money or Earn residual income.

Follow me on Twitter @MommaMiaB
Like my page on Facebook Mia Bowers
Follow me on LinkedIN

4 comments:

  1. Great read! Finding balance in life is a tough thing to do, especially when you have so much to do on either side of the spectrum. I deal with these crashes and stuff as well. I Always try to do too many projects at the same time, and like you I had to start to change that. I started to focus on one at a time. Its getting better but its still not easy. For some they can partition thier mind and time more balanced. I am not there yet. But getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aint no fun when the rabbits got the gun! IJS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chillz, thanks for the feedback! It's always good to know you're not alone when conquering a challenge.

    Dell you can say that again!

    ReplyDelete